There’s no denying how passionate I am for makeup. Heck, I practically live at Sephora and Ulta when I’m not traveling. There’s just something about makeup and all of its potential – potential to completely transform me into whatever I choose at that moment. So it’s definitely not a shock to learn that, when those beautiful holiday makeup kits start lining the shelves I make a bee line for them. This year’s tarte 2016 holiday makeup kits are really stunning – there’s special editions at both Sephora and Ulta from tarte, and I even found a really awesome one from QVC. Here’s the scoop on what makes each worth the cost, how well they travel, and if they’re worthy of adding to this season’s gift list!
I remember playing with my mother’s makeup, actually. She always had two colors of eye shadow in her collection: blue and green. I later learned that it’s because those were the two original colors that were offered and she never really shied away from them until much later in her life.
Fast track to early high school. My mother purchased a makeup kit from Elizabeth Arden for me (it was one of those special deals with an additional purchase) and I immediately feel in love. There had to be 20 different eye shadow shades, lipsticks, and blushes in colors that I’d never even considered using. I kept it on my dresser, unused, for months – it was so pretty I didn’t want to touch it for fear of messing it up. Now, as a makeup collector (thank heavens I have a husband that supports my makeup habit!), I’m all about pretty packaging, highly pigmented colors, and really good makeup brushes.
These tarte kits are all worth considering compliments of beautiful colors, kit additions, and packaging. I took all of the kits outside and snapped pics of them in natural sunlight to bring out the colors and pigment quality, too. There’s four holiday kits from tarte that caught my eye this year – Yay! Each has beautiful, long wearing colors and the packaging? Gah!
Tarteist Paint Palette Collector’s Set
One of the first tarte holiday sets I picked up at Ulta this season, I’m finding the Tarteist Paint Palette Collector’s Set to be very valuable in regards to what it’s contents are, makeup shades, and quality. Fashioned after an artist’s paint palette (check out the blush/bronzer/highlighter!), the set contains 24 eye shadows and a massive mirror on one side, and the pull-out drawer houses a blush/bronzer/highlighter combo with a Deluxe Tarteist Lash Paint Mascara and a Tarteist Glossy Lip Paint. There’s also a “paint brush” for applying and smudging the eye shadows which the other sets in this review don’t have. The set retails for $49.00 and is worth every penny!
Fun, “minimalist neutrals” for eye shadows. Personally, I love the bit of everything for the types of eye shadows: mattes, shimmers, and metallics.
A huge mirror is perfect for applying makeup on the go.
Again, tarte is loving the neutrals this season. The highlighter is my new fave, too. Talk about strobing!
What I Love:
- Super-pigmented highlighter
- Giant mirror
- Neutral eye shadows with a couple of color surprises like Landscape and Contrast.
- Very affordable
- Comes with its own shadow brush
What I Wished For:
The metallics and shimmers have a decent amount of fall out so make sure you tap off your brush before applying.
Of the four sets that I’m reviewing, this one is definitely my favorite for value and quality/content.
- Eyeshadow in Reflection (champagne) (0.035 oz)
- Eyeshadow in Take it Easel (caramel) (0.035 oz)
- Eyeshadow in Roygbiv (shimmering russet) (0.035 oz)
- Eyeshadow in Go for Baroque (chocolate) (0.035 oz)
- Eyeshadow in On Display (pink) (0.035 oz)
- Eyeshadow in Renaissance Woman (mauve) (0.035 oz)
- Eyeshadow in Metallic Masterpiece (metallic plum mauve) (0.035 oz)
- Eyeshadow in Contrast (deep plum) (0.035 oz)
- Eyeshadow in Muse (pinky mauve) (0.035 oz)
- Eyeshadow in Abstract (rose quartz) (0.035 oz)
- Eyeshadow in Be an Original (metallic aubergine) (0.035 oz)
- Eyeshadow in Make the Gradient (midnight aubergine) (0.035 oz)
- Eyeshadow in Canvas (ivory) (0.035 oz)
- Eyeshadow in To the Pointillism (rose gold) (0.035 oz)
- Eyeshadow in Beret (copper) (0.035 oz)
- Eyeshadow in Doodle (burnt sienna) (0.035 oz)
- Eyeshadow in Set the Tone (light peach) (0.035 oz)
- Eyeshadow in Gilded Gallery (antique gold) (0.035 oz)
- Eyeshadow in Sepia (brown) (0.035 oz)
- Eyeshadow in Landscape (shimmering pine) (0.035 oz)
- Eyeshadow in Have we Met (grey mauve) (0.035 oz)
- Eyeshadow in Stencil (taupe) (0.035 oz)
- Eyeshadow in Kaleidoscope (shimmering plum) (0.035 oz)
- Eyeshadow in Gothic (black) (0.035 oz)
- Contour 1 (0.084 oz)
- Contour 2 (0.084 oz)
- Highlight (0.084 oz)
- Deluxe Tarteist Lash Paint Mascara in Black (0.16 oz)
- Tarteist Glossy Lip Paint in Double Tap (0.034 oz)
- Paint Brush
tarte Pretty Paintbox Collector’s Makeup Case
I picked the tarte Pretty Paintbox up last weekend. It’s a limited edition and exclusive to Sephora. The kit has limited edition tarteist™ essentials including 24 Amazonian Clay Eyeshadows, blushes, a highlighter, and two bronzers. Add in your fave foundation and you can throw this one in your travel bag with a few makeup brushes. The kit retails for $59.00 (it’s a $418.00 value if you purchased all of the products separately) and the neutral shades are awesome for all skin tones.
What I Love:
- Highly pigmented eye shadows
- A good neutral palette with both matter and shimmer shadows
- The dark eye shadow colors are super buttery and blendable
- Full size pans for both eyes and face colors
- A decent mirror
- Formulated without Parabens and Phthalates
What I Wished for:
- Some of the darker shadows have some hefty fallout. Make sure you tap off the excess before you apply.
- A couple of added lip colors
- The shadows, if tussled around in a suitcase or travel bag may shed some color onto the interior case and may get on the additional products like the blush, highlighter, and bronzers. The kit did come with a plastic sheet so make sure to keep it in the case and don’t throw away.
Straight from the Sephora site, here’s the kit’s contents:
- – 24 x 0.031 oz/ 0.87 g Amazonian Clay Eyeshadow in Glitter Glue, Nude, Bronze Casting, Silhoutte, Waterlines, van Gogh with it, Metal Work, Charcoal Sketch, Pearl Earring, Frameworthy, First Impression, Starry Night, Fresco, Hearts & Crafts, Selfie Portrait, One Too Manet, Porcelain Dali, Monochrome, hot MoMa, Stained Glass, Pastel, I Lourve It, Get Surreal, Still Life
- 0.10 oz/ 2.83 g Tartiest lash paint mascara in Black
- 0.158 oz/ 4.47 g Amazonian Clay Blush in Moment
- 0.158 oz/ 4.47 g Amazonian Clay Highlighter in Authentic
- 2 x 0.158 oz/ 4.47 g Amazonian Clay Bronzer in Unique , Provacative
- 0.10 oz/ 2.83 g Rainforest of the Sea So Fine Micro Liner in Black
- 0.01 oz/ 0.47 g tarteist glossy lip paint in Ovbi
tarte 3-in-1 Gift Collection
If you’re looking for an all-inclusive tarte kit (sans foundation) with plenty of full-size products and shades, this kit will be right up your alley. The tarte 3-in-1 Gift Collection from QVC has 26 full-sized products including 16 shadows, two blushes, two mascaras, and three lip products. For a retail of $59.94 this kit has the most bang for your buck, in my honest opinion.
The tarte kit comes in three book-style cases that fit beautifully inside a dust cover, if you will.
Again, 16 beautiful buttery eye shadow shades with fun names like pillow talk and rocking chair are in two separate packages. The pans are in both matte and shimmer styles and have both warm and cool nudes.
Two LipSurgence Lip Cremes and a Lip Gloss, along with two blush shades can be easily packed together.
Two, count ’em, two full size Lights, Camera, Lashes mascaras (it’s one of my top faves lately!) and three eye liners in black, brown, and a mid-toned gray (LOVE that!) round out the kit.
What I Love:
- The fact that the kit can be broken down. The full size products can be kept together in one of the boxes or separated and added to a makeup bag.
- Each product is full-size
- Both matte and shimmer eye shadows
- Amazing price!
What I Wished For:
- The kit is a bit bulky if you keep it in the boxes and sleeve. Not a deal breaker by any means.
- Made from cardboard so wear and tear might be high.
- Palette 1: eight 0.07-oz Colored Clay Eyeshadows in Champagne Toast, a champagne shade; Rocking Chair, a chocolate brown; Mani-Pedi, a light pink; Dinner Date, a deep plum; Cozy Slippers, a plum taupe; Girls Brunch, a rose bronze shade; Glass of Rose, a mauve pink shade; Wildflowers, a smoky lavender shade
- Palette 2: eight 0.07-oz Colored Clay Eyeshadows in Creme Brulee, a champagne gold shade; Chamomile Tea, a brown; String of Pearls, a soft pearl shade; Spa Day, a gold shade; Pillow Talk, a pastel pink; Romance Novel, a copper fig shade; Yoga Retreat, an olive green; Dark Chocolate, a black-brown
- Three 0.0423-oz eyeliners in Slate, Midnight Plum, and Copper
- Two 0.2-oz Amazonian Clay blushes in Cherished, a golden coral shade, and Deserving, a rose bronze shade
- Two 0.1-oz LipSurgence Lip Cremes in Caring, a warm peachy pink shade, and Strong, a soft poppy pink shade
- Two 0.24-fl oz Lights, Camera, Lashes 4-in-1 Mascaras
- One 0.27-fl oz LipSurgence Lip Gloss in Rewarding, a mauve pink shade
tarte Kissing Squad Limited- Edition Lip Sculptor Quad
This kit is a two fold. It looks like you’re only getting four separate lip products but each is double-ended so it’s twice the lippy goodness. An Ulta exclusive, tarte Kissing Squad retails for $34.00. Considering a single tarte lipstick averages around $24.00, it’s a super good deal.
Four Lip Sculptor lipsticks in four beautiful colors ranging from a lighter nude to a mid-range berry will work with just about any outfit or makeup look you can throw at them.
What I Love:
- Super creamy, buttery formulas.
- Vegan friendly
- Infused with coconut and maracuja oils- keeps my lips hydrated
- A nice amount of pigment in each.
- Lip glosses aren’t sticky.
What I Wished For:
Not much, really. The outer packaging is a bit flimsy but, other than that, I’m loving it!
- Lip Scultpor Lipstick in Kitten (nude) (0.12 oz)
- Lip Scultpor Lip Gloss in Kitten (nude) (0.06 oz)
- Lip Scultpor Lipstick in Minx (dark nude) (0.12 oz)
- Lip Scultpor Lip Gloss in Minx (dark nude) (0.06 oz)
- Lip Scultpor Lipstick in Flirt (berry) (0.12 oz)
- Lip Scultpor Lip Gloss in Flirt (berry) (0.06 oz)
- Pixie Lipstick (mauve berry) (0.12 oz)
- Lip Sculptor Lip Gloss in Pixie (mauve berry) (0.06 oz)
Do you have a fave tarte holiday kit on your wishlist? Please let me know in the comment section below!